XML quote Re: Meeting Notes: SLUG Mon 14 Nov - Google Earth and everything else

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Tue Nov 14 09:40:38 EST 2006

kclark at elbrysnetworks.com (Kevin D. Clark) writes:

> "Bill Ricker" <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> writes:
>
>>>   "XML is for people who don't understand Scheme."  (not my quote,
>>> that just seems like such good flamewar fodder that I had to pass it
>>> along)
>>
>> There's nothing new under the sun. Each generation thinks they
>> invented sex and fast square root algorithms.
>>
>> I've said for years, if LISP stands for Lots of Invidious Silly
>> Parentheses,   ><ML has twice as many bent-til-they-snapped brackets
>> and usesancient  ENDIF syntax, as if syntax-aware editors couldn't
>> handle closing-brace-match.
>
> I agree with this all 100%.  XML is just another markup language for
> me.  Earlier in my career ASN.1 and BER-encoding were my bread and
> butter.  Nowadays XML has more popularity (probably deservedly so).

Is there anyway we could foster this into a real discussion on XML,
what it is, what it's used for, why it's
good/bad/evil/sucks-rocks/better-than-sliced-bread ?

About the only thing I know about XML is that it appears to be a
markup language for Pirate Treasure Maps (you know, X-marks-the-spot...
okay, sorry, not funny :)

I know it wasn't intended for wetware-parsing, but increasingly hear
how many people have trouble dealing with it.  Conversely, I haven't
yet heard a single computer say anything bad about it :)

--
Seeya,
Paul