What 20 books would you put in the library?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Jan 25 19:13:09 EST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 16:12, Curtis Sandoval wrote:

> Not to fall down into the quagmire, but how hard would it be to do
> that exactly?  I'm assuming, as a n00b, that I missed previous heated
> discussion on this topic?  ;-)

The running joke is that whenever somebody comes up with an idea,
they've volunteered to lead it.  We have lots of great ideas and
precious little time to shepherd them.

Thanks for volunteering to coordinate the NH Librarians' OSS Wiki,
Curtis.  Ben will set you up with an account.  You might as well
convert Twiki to MediaWiki while you're at it. ;) ;)

On Jan 25, 2008, at 16:58, Ben Scott wrote:

>   So those are already done, really.  :)

I think we'd find that if NH librarians actually participated in such
a thing they'd be far more likely to recommend it.  Less efficient -
absolutely.

>  I suspect O'Reilly wouldn't be keen on
> the idea of a shared LUG subscription (they are, after all, in the
> business to make money)

ACM has something like this already.  We'd have to finish setting up
a membership structure, and only allow access to certain membership
levels, but this might be a good enough reason to make it happen.
How many folks here could justify a $75/yr GNHLUG membership if it
included Safari access?

If somebody wants to gather more info, this appears to be the correct
form:
   http://www.safaribooksonline.com/whysafari/info.php

I'm tempted to set Reply-To to gnhlug-organizing, but hearing
feedback from everybody would be useful.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/