Firefox 3 AwesomeBar

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:19:18 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Coleman Kane <cokane at cokane.org> wrote:
> Try: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6227

  Aware of OldBar; indeed, I noted it in my original post.  ;-)

  FYI: OldBar changes the look back to the one-line-per-match format.
It doesn't change the behavior.  The "about:config" tweaks I posted
modify that behavior to be more like FF 2.x, although it is not exact.

  BTW, there have been 4000+ additional downloads of OldBar since last
night, so apparently I'm not the only one who prefers the old way.

  For the record, I've got no problem with people who prefer the
AwesomeBar, or even making it the default.  The main reason I'm pissed
is there is apparently no way to opt-out of the new style, and the
developers just dismissed complaints out-of-hand.

> BTW, it [AwesomeBar] is expected to somewhat suck at first. After you've been
> regularly using it for about a week ...

  Are the specifics of its behavior documented somewhere?  If I knew
how it work, maybe I could adapt my habits to it.  (Although 5 or so
years of muscle memory are hard to un-learn.)

-- Ben