Phones for Asterisk and single-pair old phone wiring?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 11:21:19 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> What do you have feeding the Nortel box now from the Telco?

  I don't see how that matters.  What I'm concerned about are the
telephones and wiring on the private side of our premises telephone
system.  Connecting to the PSTN is a solved problem.

  But anyway, to answer your question: POTS.  Analog copper dialtones.
 They go into LS/DS (Loop Start/Disconnect Supervision) cards on the
Norstar MICS.

> If you can't get a proper VoIP card for your PBX ...

  Not easily.  The Norstar MICS, like just about every other premises
telephone system ever made, uses proprietary signaling and encoding
internally.  The Nortel upgrade path is the BCM, which replaces the
MICS core with an IP-based system, which also works with the Norstar
telephones and expansion modules.

-- Ben