Ubuntu

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Thu Sep 18 11:50:59 EDT 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008 11:33, Bruce Labitt wrote:
> Seriously, now.  Why Ubuntu vs straight Debian?  Ubuntu has worked at
> making the average-user experience easier, is that it?

I think that's it.  I run Debian Stable as my desktop/laptop OS of choice.
It's outdated, but I pull a few select desktop apps from backports or
third-party sources.  Things like Firefox and OpenOffice, for example, are
not likely to cause dependency issues with other things for example.  Things
like KDE, I just use the distribution version.  It doesn't look as pretty,
but when I get around to upgrading, I'm sure it won't stand in my way either.
I'm behind the times, but I can be efficient just the same.

When I decided to put Linux on my wife's laptop for her, I used Ubuntu.  It
has GUI configs for things like network interfaces, whereas I never installed
any in my machines because I'm just too comfortable
editing /etc/network/interfaces.  I'm stuck in my ways and don't see anything
wrong with that.  I'm sure she would.  She gets Ubuntu.  I made a machine for
my grandfather and wanted it to be pretty and new.  He got an Ubuntu box and
barely has asked any questions about it.  Just seems to work and he can find
everything he's looked for.  I absolutely know that both would hate to be
left at my desktop or laptop expecting to accomplish anything.
-N