mosh

Ric Werme ewerme at comcast.net
Fri Apr 20 20:09:55 EDT 2012

> I know that one of the major differences is that it provides buffered
> I/O with local echo so it can greatly improve a remote terminal experience
> over a high latency connection.

That's been part of the the telnet protocol since day one.  (Well, the "new"
protocol from 1972 or so.)  I don't know if ssh supports something like that.
The problem is that Unixes have added more and more characters that need an
immediate response that the BSD folks defaulted to character at a time mode
with remote echo.

The terminal protocol used on TOPS-10 has a rather nice design.  The server
specified the characters the client could echo, and when the client saw one
it couldn't handle, it would switch to remote echo.  That included a sequence
number incremented by the client on each message, and the server would return
it.  When the client got a reply for a the most recent sequence number, it
would switch back to local echo mode.

  -Ric