USB linux rescue disk

Chris fj1200 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:07:32 EDT 2012

I tried to create a Linux rescue USB stick to try to work  on a cool
little PC I picked up cheaply at the computer show on Saturday. It is
a Wyse Winterm V90, which comes with Windows XPe (embedded) it is on a
512M IDE flash card plugged into the motherboard. Unfortunately, I am
unable to login to XP, as there seems to be a login manager (Saflink)
for which I don't have the password.

but no problem, I thought, Boot Linux from the USB port and see if it
can be cleared out.

Well,my the USB stick I created boots on my laptop, and also on the
winterm if I disable the IDE hardware, which is pointless, because I
need the flash drive to be there. But it always seems to want to boot
the on board flash regardless of the BIOS setting. So I am unable to
run the normal Linux ntpassword removal tools.

Is there a way for forcing the USB stick to emulate a SB CD-ROM or USB
floppy, which might take preference over the onboard flash?

Thanks

Chris

--
IBA #15631